Skip to main content

The Tudors - BBC Series

I was always interested like most in the history of the Tudors and Henry VIII but this got lost by the whey side when following my education and career in Archaeology and Museums.  I am watching for the second time round the BBC series on the Tudors, and I have to say it’s just as gripping as the first time I watched it.  I really like how they have portrayed all of the characters even if Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is a bit too hot and doesn’t really get fat and aged.

I also enjoy how they convey the different political stances within this period and also the change in religion, making it easy to understand for the lay man.  You also see how different members of this period behaved in order for personal and family gain, and how they manipulated their circumstances and people they were in contact with.  It shows a bit more to Henry and the people he surrounded himself with rather than concentrating on him having so many wives.

I feel both times I have watched this it has made me take a keen interest in different people, wanting to learn more about them and proceeding to go off and do my own research.  The first time I watched this series I wanted to learn more about Henry VIII first daughter Mary, so I am currently reading more about her side of the events, the affect it had on her life and how she came to power. 

This second time round although a distasteful character I am drawn to Anne Boleyn and want to know more about her background, along with her father’s puppetry of her and her siblings.  This time around I am almost feeling sorry for Anne, even though she seems like a right pain in the backside and too out spoken and jealous for her own good, however if you think of the situation and pressure she was put in and how she came to be with Henry it’s no wonder she ended up a bit psychotic.  The saying “How you get them is how you lose them” can be seen as very true here.

 I am also interested to learn more about Anne of Cleves, as she is portrayed as quite a character in the series and I would like to know how her relationship with Henry progressed after they were divorced, it would seem that it improved and they became friends who enjoyed each other’s company, I wonder how much of that is actually true.

In this series it also brings to light the different methods of torture carried out during this period and some of it being quite gruesome to watch.  However, they do only really touch on the matter and from previous research into different tortures inflicted on people they really are just showing the tip of the iceberg, it was a horrendous time to be alive.

While watching historical dramas like these it also gets me thinking about how much fashions have changed and how far we have come.  A lady back then wouldn’t be even thought of to wear trousers, yet these days this seems to be the standard for men and women.  Then thinking about the technological advancements, back in Henry VIII’s time there wasn’t even such a thing as a telephone and a mobile phone, what on earth is that!!  Also when dealing with religion, in this country we are much more liberal and embrace all kinds of background and religious beliefs even if some people have none.  Women’s rights have also come a long way and it is good that we are becoming equal to men in not only our opinions but the validity of them and that we are indeed the same if not better than a Man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o