Skip to main content

My Positive Birth Story: Tegan

Well I thought I would, like a lot of amazing woman at the moment, share my positive birth stories.  I was very lucky to be able to have this with both my girls. When I became pregnant with my first I was well aware that the idea of what the birth of your child will be like and what normally happens are two different things.  However, there is still a lot of unspoken things that other mothers don't tell you, some people would rather not know, I on the other hand thrive on knowledge.  I think the more I can research into different areas the better equipped I would be to face the situation when presented with it.

During my pregnancy I watched a lot of One Born Every Minute as well as asking other mum's a 101 questions.  Obviously the internet was also my friend and my very helpful midwife.  I found this all extremely helpful and when the midwives were saying things to me I understood more what they meant and what direction they wanted me to go in.  Also because of this I was realistic and knew nothing tends to go to plan especially with your first, babies come when they want and how they want.  So I didn't do a birth plan either.  Obviously I discussed with the fantastic Mr Bus what pain relief etc. I wanted so that he knew what decisions to make if I wasn't able to or not coherent.  Of course everyone wants to avoid a C-Section if they can, but knew if that was the only option left for the safe arrival of our baby or for my safety it would be the right call, and told Mr Bus as such as well.

The day arrived when I went into labour.  We had just come back from the dentist and I was just making tea, Mr Bus had popped out for an ingredient we were short on, and when he came back my contractions had started.  This being our first we weren't sure what to do, we phoned the hospital and they told to wait until they were so many minutes apart and lasted so long.  At this point the contractions were quite far apart but painful enough they were making me feel a bit queasy so I couldn't eat much of my tea.  It got to about 9pm and we phoned the hospital again as the contractions were coming when they said, they still wanted us to wait but as we live a bit far from the hospital that I had to go to we decided to sod it and go along anyway as it would take us about 30mins to get there if all was well with the traffic.

We arrived at the hospital and I started in the midwifery led unit, all was going well.  I had a bath and was bobbing happily up and down on the ball, everything had slowed right down as I was quite relaxed.  They were a bit concerned I hadn't eaten much so for some unknown reason I chose I tuna sandwich and then drank a whole pint of whole milk as well (I have no idea, I am not even a milk drinker and find whole milk too sweet normally).  I got on the bed to be examined and while waiting for the midwife to come back my waters broke.  I told this to the midwife when she came back and she didn't seam to believe me so checked.

Things were progressing and I went from about 4cm to 9cm very quickly, luckily I was then on the gas and air which took the edge off.  I was then taken up to the consultancy led unit.  I wasn't aware of why at the time, they must have told me but I didn't take it in.  Mr Bus told me that basically where your cervix normally thins out at 10cm mine wasn't and they were worried that the baby would get stuck.  Up on the consultancy unit I ended up having an episiotomy, they were just about to get ready to prep for surgery just in case, when one last effort and out came Tegan at 7:06am weighing 6lb 15oz!!!  They placed her on my chest, but in a way I couldn't see her face so had to asked Mr Bus what she looked like, and then she very happily pooed all over me....lovely.  They took Tegan away to clean her up and weigh her etc. and gave me the injection to help speed up the placenta.  Just after giving birth to the placenta, up came all the milk and the tuna sandwich, poor Mr Bus had to catch it in one of those cardboard bucket things the hospitals have, and I somehow managed to fill two of those!!!  The clean up crew then came in stitched me up and I was able to have a bath before being transferred back down to the midwifery led unit.  Mr Bus has said the worst part from him was the sick hahahaha

We opted to go home that day so they were doing all the checks etc. before we went which meant we didn't have much peace, and I was eager to get home.  The only down side to this experience was I have no idea who delivered Tegan in the end as I felt there were so many people coming and going, also I had just managed to have a bath after giving birth (luckily an ensuite to  the room) when I over heard someone asking what I was still doing in there and why hadn't I been transferred down yet.

We left the hospital at 7pm that evening and so glad to get home with our new bundle of joy, I was so proud that I went with the flow, didn't bother with a birth plan and managed on just gas and air.  I have never shared the picture below as I had not long given birth but it's my first pic with my baby girl and the first one as a mum.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.