Skip to main content

Sun, Sea, Sand, Meteors and Cocktails


This year the wonderful Mr Bus and I have bought our first home together so we were not in the position to justify a holiday abroad.  Luckily the British weather was kind to us and the summer weather was amazing and beautiful.  We booked a lovely holiday down in Cornwall staying in our favourite place The Deep Green Lodge.

Having stayed here last year I couldn't wait to return. Mike is a brilliant host and hopefully we will return in the future at a time when I can meet Lou as well.  Everything is spotlessly clean and there is a laid back relaxing atmosphere and eco-friendly products. The breakfast is delicious and you can have as much or as little as you want, it sets you up for the day and there is lovely fresh coffee and a range of herbal teas.  The rooms are gorgeous and the new decor very complimentary and fresh. This time we stayed in room 1 which was lovely with a view out to the rear of the property. This B&B although central to Newquay is in a great quiet spot and close to the beach.  I would thoroughly recommend staying here to anybody!!

We arrived in the rain but this soon cleared up leaving us glorious weather and I didn’t really have to wear anything but shorts and bikinis all week.  We had an amazing holiday and loved taking in the events at Boardmasters and the local sites.
 
 

For dinner one evening we decided to try somewhere new and booked into Stavros Greek Taverna.  A little Greek Island in Newquay it was gorgeous.  Mr Bus and I decided on eating here as I love Greek food and wanted him to try it for himself. We were not disappointed and I was thrilled at its authentic style despite being in Newquay. Mr Bus had special mixed Souvlaki as main, where I opted for the traditional Moussaka, they were both gorgeous and very tasty, full of flavour.   For dessert Mr Bus had Paklava with ice cream and I had to have my favourite Greek Yoghurt and honey (my stomach is rumbling now with the thought of the delicious food).  There was a wonderful atmosphere and superb hosts. The food was gorgeous and at a reasonable price. We will definitely be returning.   

Another evening we tried the Sailors Arms, there was no need to book here as we got there pretty early, the food was very good and tasty.  What also enticed me was the cocktails.  Instead of going for an evening stroll Mr Bus and I decided to stay and drink cocktails all evening.  My favourite was a Ferrari Jack.  We also tried Cherry spiced coke, Apple pie and the Orange Smartie, they were all great and not a bad price either!! It was great fun getting drunk together on cocktails and being silly.  Of course no Newquay holiday would be complete without a trip to Senor Dicks.  This is a great Mexican restaurant, the food is good and there is a lot of it.  Whilst here this year we saw Liev Schreiber doppelganger the likeness was uncanny, we thought they had just up and left after having their food leaving more or less a full bottle of wine.  We were tempted to take it but then realised that the lady had left her coat there as well, they had just gone out for a stinky fag.  I would hate to be a smoker and have to go outside all the time and be so addicted you can’t sit through a meal without having to have a fag!!

Mr Bus and I love building sandcastles, our effort this year was quite poor on our spectacular build from last year, however Mr Bus this year made a fantastic Sand Minion, he was brilliant, so much so children were stopping to look at it and taking photos.  We also managed to get in a little bike riding in the area stopping for a picnic before heading back, a trip to the Aquarium and also a day trip to St Ives and Padstow on the way back to visit my mum.
 
 
 


 
 

St Ives was really pretty and we had lovely pasties there, the only thing that spoilt it was the amount of people.  It was ridiculously busy, it didn’t help that it was the school holidays I am sure it would be better out of season.  The views were fantastic however and walking slightly out of the centre was much more peaceful. 
 

 
 
Padstow is one of my favourite places with a beautiful harbour and of course Rick Steins Chip shop.  Last year we were lucky enough to bump into the man himself.  This year it was much busier there as well and there wasn’t even room to sit along the side of the harbour to eat our fish and chips, there were people everywhere!!


On our way back home we stopped off in my native South Wales, the evening was beautifully clear and we were able to witness the Perseid meteor shower.  It was a lovely evening so Mr Bus and I got a few blankets and lay on the grass in the back garden watching and counting how many we could see, we managed to count about 8 each which was fab, we also spotted the International Space Station shuttling above us, it was a perfect end to a perfect holiday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o