Skip to main content

Bluestone




Well April has been a busy time and not much of it spent in work. I was off at the beginning of April at Bluestone in Pembrokeshire with my friend Fordy and then there is time off for Easter and the Royal Wedding, which I was sick of hearing about from the moment they announced it.

Let me tell you about Bluestone. This wonderful place is located in Pembrokeshire right by Oakwood and Folly Farm. I would say generally it’s a place for families. However, my friend Fordy and I went off peak and stayed in one of their two bedroom cottages. It was lovely modern and fresh, generally it was clean but not really to my standard. There were some cobwebs in some of the corners and lightshades, the kitchen blind had dead flies on it and there were dead flies in the lightshade of the second bedroom. The cottage had all the things we could need and was a lovely place to relax.

We didn’t do much on getting there on Monday, we arrived about 2 if not before, got checked in and headed over for the complimentary tea and coffee at the adventure centre. We eventually found it after walking around for a bit, after refreshments we wandered down to the village part of the complex for a look around and have an advance peek of our cottage as we weren’t allowed to go in until 3:30. We were pleased with the village, an on site bakery, wine shop, grocery store, pub, three restaurants, Spa and the Blue Lagoon.

Tuesday we ventured over the Blue Lagoon for a swim. The weather wasn’t too bad a little bit of misty rain. It was lovely and warm at the pool. We floated down the lazy river which goes outside, there is a little sitting area off the pool with some steps to the side, we peered up at the top of the steps and spied the outside Jacuzzi, we made a dash for it, it was freezing, but the warmth of the Jacuzzi was delightful. There is also an inside Jacuzzi which we spotted and took advantage of and we also went on the water slides. From here we thought we would try out the onsite bakery and have a Panini for lunch with a coffee. What a disappointment, the Panini wasn’t fresh but from a freezer and heated up, it is probably one of the worst I had tasted too, and I right rip off for the price. The coffee was average. We noticed whilst in there that everything else they sold in there came from the freezer as well.

Tuesday evening we thought we would sample curry night at the pub, we headed over (a stones throw from our cottage). We went into the bar area which was really packed with families children everywhere, we asked at the bar if there was another seating area and they pointed out the family room. We thought oh well, went over and it was practically empty, we were so annoyed we didn’t want to be sitting in there with no atmosphere and a walk down the corridor to the bar. Surely the family room should have been used by all the families in the bar area. I disagree with having children in a bar at the best of times, this really infuriated me. We decided to go elsewhere. The main restaurant was a bit pricey so we headed for one of the others; one was shut so we were left with a choice of one. Fordy had the steak which she enjoyed. I opted for a starter for my main, which they doubled up without asking and so was too big for what I wanted, it was also not very warm either. My advice don’t eat out at Bluestone.

The grocery shop at Bluestone is very well stocked and has local fresh meat, fruit and vegetables, I would recommend buying things from here. But do food shopping before you go as most of it is full price and not many offers.

Wednesday to the Spa we went, they had a nice offer on for two to use the facilities so we thought we would take advantage of that. The treatments were expensive and so were lunches so decided to give it a miss. We made full use of the outside Jacuzzi pool with its massaging jets and also the many different steam rooms and saunas. There was a salt room which is good for skin conditions, a brick sauna, marine steam room, herbal steam room, Celtic sauna and ice room. I have to say I loved the Celtic sauna and the ice room. The ice room had a bowl which would fill up on its own from time to time with ice. You would take the ice and wrap it around your legs, apparently good for cellulite. It was lovely and relaxing. There were some bitter old ladies sharing the spa facilities with us, they were very rude and patronising, luckily they didn’t seem to like the steam rooms or saunas very much so we could escape them.

Thursday we escaped the site and headed off into Tenby, the weather was glorious and sunny. After a little wander around we bought a Pasty each from the Pembrokeshire Pasty Company which now also has a shop in Cardiff. We went here on Fordy’s recommendation and I have to say it didn’t disappoint. We took our pasties down to the sea front and ate them in a little park overlooking the sea, it was delightful. I had the Steak and Stilton Pasty which was lovely, luckily the gentleman in the shop advised before hand that there wasn’t as much stilton in as normal as they’re all hand made and the guy who made them this time didn’t put as much in, but it was still delicious and the pastry not too thick.

Friday we were up early to pack and empty the cottage, we had to check out by ten, a little earlier that we would have liked. There are other activities to do at Bluestone as well, there is a bike and buggy hire for getting around the site, there are nature trails and walks, along with things like archery, treasure hunts and bush crafts. So plenty for all. It’s also a wonderful base for exploring the delights of South West Wales, I would recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o