Skip to main content

Bugsy Malone



Ms James and I were well up for an evening of reminiscing and jazz hands as we planned a little outing to the theatre to watch an old time classic Bugsy Malone. We met up and went for food in one of our favourite places, Henry’s Café Bar. The service as always was fantastic, Ms James really fancied the noodles that were on the menu but the only options were with chicken or salmon, she asked if there was any chance as she was a vegetarian to have the noodles on their own (personally we both felt there should have been an option to have the noodles with vegetables) this wasn’t a problem at all and they were more than happy to serve it without Chicken or Salmon. After much deliberation I decided on the Pork Belly with dauphinoise potatoes, seasonal veg and gravy, it was gorgeous but could have done with a little more potatoes.




Our hunger satisfied we had a little time to spare before having to head for the theatre so we went on a mission to find me some shoes to go with my dress for my works Christmas party. The dress is a berry colour lace (cross between purple and red) with a nude slip underneath. I wanted to find nude shoes to go with it as felt these would go best. Well…. Most places the shoes were either too high, had a ridiculous platform or were the wrong colour. Seriously who wants to be a scary 60ft woman, good things come in small packages and you look ridiculous if you’re towering over your man, not that I ever have that problem being a mere 5ft3” but still I like being able to walk and not totter looking like I haven’t learnt to walk properly. (Small rant over) we eventually found some which were perfect and a bargain price as well, I was very pleased.



Dropping the shoes back to the car so they weren’t in the way we headed over to the New Theatre. This is one of my favourite theatres; it has a lovely atmosphere and old fashioned sense about it. We were fairly early arriving so decided to have a drink before going in to take our seats. We were a little worried at the amount of children around but they were all well behaved to be fair. It was time to take our seats, we were lucky enough to get ones only four rows back from the front. We were slightly annoyed by the family in front of us, in which the only way to describe them is Chavs. The three boys were fairly well behaved despite having truly mullet haircuts and being plied with sugar, their parents on the other hand were not, they just wouldn’t sit still and kept talking, it was most frustrating.



The theatre was almost full and there were still two seats next to me still to be taken, and on that thought in came a fairly huge couple. The lady was very rotund bless her, so much so that she squashed me to the floor on an attempt to get passed. It makes me wonder why they booked those seats and not an aisle one to make it easier for them. She was so big bless her when she sat down her stomach touched the seat in front, no word of a lie. Upon taking their seats they both go their kindles out, I thought that man was going to keep his on during the production, thank goodness he didn’t, he just fell asleep instead.



The production itself was brilliant and all the cast were superb, from remembering their lines, being in character and some difficult dance routines, it was a great show to go and see especially with so much talent. The characters that shone the most for me were Fat Sam, Knuckles and Tallulah. If you get a chance to go and see this production I would definitely recommend it. It was great to see a young audience enjoying such a classic showing that it has stood the test of time and lovely to hear them singing the songs on the way out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o