Skip to main content

Girlie Day and Ghost Walk

Last Friday there was still hope of Wales being in the final for the World Cup in the Rugby and the weather was warm enough to walk around in t-shirts. This Friday we’re in the 3rd place play offs for the Rugby World Cup and I had to scrape ice off my car this morning!!! What a difference a week can make.

Anyway, back to last Friday. I took a flexi day leave (one thing the government hasn’t taken from us poor Public Sector workers yet) and spent it with my superb friend Ms James. We had a late morning start catching the train to Cardiff Bay where we took a little stroll around enjoying the sun and popping into some boutiques. We then decided to go for a cocktail before heading for our champagne cream tea. Mimosa’s was our place of choice and we settled down for a lovely Manhattan whilst taking in the view of the lovely barman with gorgeous blue eyes, ensuring we will have to return there. All too quickly we had to finish our cocktails and head off to find the place we were having our cream tea.

On hitting the fresh air outside I realised I was a bit tipsy already considering I had only had two slices of toast for breakfast, but this added to the fun of the day. After searching and walking around for a bit we eventually found the Deck coffee shop where we were to enjoy a magnificent afternoon cream tea. We chose a lovely table nestled within the coffee shop and were brought our glasses of champagne; this was quickly followed by our choice of tea and two massive home made scones with cream and jam. We leisurely enjoyed the atmosphere of our quaint surroundings, the soothing of the tea, and the satisfying feeling of the scones and the giddiness of the bubbles. It was a mouth-wateringly brilliant combination.

Feeling delightfully full and refreshed we left The Deck and meandered back towards the main part of the bay, the sun was really warm and we decided to head for a drink outside the Terra Nova pub overlooking the bay. It was beautiful, the sun shining, the breeze off the bay and a cold drink in hand. Randomly we decided to catch the water taxi back into the city and rushed down to catch it, just as we got there it pulled away, damn it back to catching the bus for us.





Back in the city we called into one of our favourite places Gwdihw for a couple, it was still so lovely we could sit outside. The time soon came for us to head on out to Llandaff where we had booked in for the Ghost walk that evening. We wanted to get there early not only to get a bite to eat but also to have a look for my Great Grandmothers grave that was from Llandaff and is buried there. Not so morbid really as I have never been there and I have started researching my family tree.

On arrival into Llandaff we headed off towards the Cathedral to find the grave yard, we managed to find the old grave yard with a lot of it overgrown, we eventually found the more recent grave yard which is better kept, but then it was a nightmare, like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The grave yard isn’t marked out at all so we had no idea on the row or plot numbers, so had no joy in locating said grave. We gave up and decided to grab a bite to eat before the walk.

We wandered around Llandaff looking for a place to eat whose prices were reasonable and also had good veggie options. We ended up in the Italian Kalla Bella, slightly more expensive than we wanted to pay but very reasonably priced. I opted for a gorgeous calzone and Ms James had a wonderful pizza, they were both very tasty and absorbed all the alcohol we had consumed that day. Here we met up with another fabulous person Nush.

Off to the Ghost Walk we set which would take us mainly around Llandaff cathedral and take about 2hrs. This was done through Cardiff History; I won’t go into too much detail as its something worthwhile doing. I have to say it was really good. In the first part I did come over all funny and nearly passed out but didn’t want to say anything as I wanted to continue. It was really interesting hearing all the history about the area and all of the different ghost stories associated with it. We went down a fantastically dark path called Path of the Dead as it was the one they used to bring the bodies up to the Cathedral. We then entered the grave yard where we could hear some cracking twigs in the bushes, one man was quite scared and moved away, Nush informed us she saw what it was and it was only a bird. I thought it had to be scary or she would have moved away very quickly from where she was standing. In another part someone said that something had grabbed her elbow. All in all it was a great experience and well worth doing if you’re in the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o