Skip to main content

A Goat at the Beer Launch???


Thursday 12th May was not only Mass observation day which I took part in but also a fantastic beer launch hosted by Gwdihŵ café bar in Cardiff.

Gwdihŵ café bar is a quaint little bar which has a unique boho chic feel about it, the bar area itself is small but adequate and the staff are friendly, generally young and fairly trendy looking, it’s all very comfy and the DJ booth is fab and well placed. There is a lovely beer garden, consisting of what look like old sofas and chairs, along with mini barrels to be used as stools or side tables. Part of the beer garden is undercover as well and quite sheltered giving it a lovely homely feel.

The evening started with my fabulous friend Erika getting us free tickets to the event entitling us to a free sample of the beer Kozel. Kozel is the Czech word for goat and of course is a Czech beer; Gwdihŵ is one of the first places to be serving it. Kozel is what I would call a Lager Beer, a bit like Budweiser but slightly more refreshing and a bit less hop to the taste, but not a lager taste like in the form of Carling or Fosters, much nicer (however I am biased as I don’t like lager). It is also served in funky glasses.

We took a short train ride into Cardiff central from Bridgend and headed over. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely lady at the door who checked our names off the list gave us out raffle tickets for the free beer sample and also a card with a goat on it which you could pop different body parts out of and it would tell you something about the beer. Sounds a bit weird but fun nonetheless.

Erika and I were a bit disappointed that you didn’t give in parts of the goat from the card for your free beer samples, we though this might have been a better use of the cards, but then they were littered all over the bar so people would have been getting more than their fair share. We were also hoping for some cheesy freebies like badges, key rings or t-shirts, instead we had to be satisfied with the piece of cardboard. Are we old school in expecting a bit more? I remember going to the Bud Bar in Bridgend (now Sam’s Bar) and getting a free flashing bud badge in the shape and design of its bottle tops, or Flares and O’Neills where you get badges. Still there is a recession on I suppose.

We wandered out into the beer garden as it was still quite light and sunny, we were offered lovely little potato rosti type snacks that were being freshly cooked outside, these were very moreish and we had a few throughout the evening. We enjoyed the atmosphere and people watching as well as the beer until it started getting a bit chilly and we headed in doors. More people were arriving and the place was filling up. I am pleased to say that there was a very eclectic mix of people ranging in all ages so no-one felt out of place or like they didn’t belong so all are welcome. It was a bit scary and frightening to see a few women there dressing a bit young for their age, everything in its place I think, and not necessarily donning mini skirts either, but…. Just… I am not sure, hard to describe really. I suppose I should say “good for them”, but I can be a bit of a snob.

There was a band playing that evening which I have to say I really enjoyed and they were very talented, and also fun, making people want to get up and dance and enjoy themselves. The original band that was meant to play couldn’t make it due to illness so Mae LLai Yn Fwy stepped up to the mark and were brilliant.

We had a right giggle sipping away at our beers (of course we bought some more after drinking our free sample) people watching and making Goat jokes to one an other, of course they’re the kind of ones that are only funny at the time and in the moment, so won’t be repeated.

On the train home we spread the word about Gwdihŵ and Kozel to an American we got chatting to who was on his way to Swansea. Unfortunately although he wanted to visit a real pub whilst in the UK he didn’t drink, however he could have a coffee at Gwdihŵ instead which are also lovely and some food. We shall definitely be returning soon, a great venue, a great night and a great beer.

Comments

Toclifrench said…
Glad you enjoyed!!

Pascal (Gwdihŵ)

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o