Skip to main content

In the Footsteps of Heroes


On the 10th October a group of remarkable people (the First Allied Airborne Association and the Screaming Eagles Living History Group) and I participated in what turned out to be a nearly 13 mile march in aid of Help for Heroes. The money raised by those doing the march will be going towards helping those who have put themselves in the front line abroad and at home. Those who have volunteered for this did the 13 miles in full kit. We were dressed in WWII U.S. Airborne and other uniforms and marching the 13 mile route that the 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne would have taken. The march started at Littlecote House and finished back at Littlecote House via the town of Aldbourne.

This was a mean feat and by the end of it I was fit for nothing. Unlike our troops of today and the past when they would have been expected to then fight or tend to the wounded. I have the utmost respect for them. So I have a sense of achievement that I completed this march and didn’t die, although I felt like it at numerous points.

The day started off overcast and cool, we were all in high spirits. Luckily it wasn’t such an early start as himself and I stayed at our fab friends Rachel and Mike’s place the night before. We arrived on site at Littlecote house at 07:10am, for a much needed coffee and bacon roll. After making sure everyone in our group (FAAA) had arrived and we were all in the right kit, the ladies struggled into their leggings with some help from the guys and we were all ready to roll. We joined the others at the front of Littlecote House and started the march off at 09:00am.

We reached our first ten minute break at Ramsbury where we congregated on the village square, put our feet up and made sure we all drank plenty and refilled our water bottles. Not quite yet feeling the burn, morale was still high and we were up and raring to go again, on we marched to Aldbourne.

On arriving at Aldbourne at Midday we were met by a village fete, to which we did a small parade for and the Screaming Eagles group sang their Army marching songs, collecting some donations as we went. We sat down on the green for a well deserved rest and a spot of lunch; there were also some lovely doughnuts with tea and coffee put on for us. We had done six miles and were half way through. The burn was starting to kick in and many of us were feeling we might have blisters starting to form. Himself was carrying a 19lb BAR, and was slightly regretting the decision but was determined to carry it all the way to the end. As we all got back into formation to start off again we could all feel the brum beneath our feet.

The way back seemed harder with endless hills, people were starting to suffer but we pulled together as a group and kept our spirits high encouraging each other on and helping each other out. With a couple more breaks along the way. We eventually made it to Ramsbury where we were resting once again on the village green for short break and a couple of photos. Thinking we had only about 3 miles left and not too many more hills. How wrong we were. Just before our final stretch down to Littlecote house they decided to add an extra mile onto the course by taking us up a hill with about a 17% gradient, which when I laid eyes on it I almost cried. The purpose of this was to see if we could find some carvings in the trees done by 101st Airborne. Generally the thought of this would be one of wonder and excitement however after so much walking today already not many people cared as much as they normally would have done. Even one of the jeeps gave up on the way up the hill and had to catch us up later on.

After a short break and a quick glug of water we were making our descent down the other side and the home stretch to Littlecote house. I naively thought we would take the path down passed the chickens, how silly of me, no we went up yet more hills to come down the main avenue into the house. One of the lads from the Screaming Eagles almost didn’t make it up this last hill and had to stop for a bit, the rest of us carried on, I could feel every muscle in my body and the burn of my feet begging me to stop. I was not giving up now.

Hurrah!!! We arrived at the front of Littlecote House, but then endured some speeches before collapsing in a heap on the grass outside the entrance. We eventually moved slowly inside and collapsed on some lovely comfortable chairs with some nice cool water. We had made it. I am so proud of everyone in the group for their determination and keeping morale high.

There are a number of photos from the march around on facebook etc. this one is courtesy of Ade Pitman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

28 Years Later

My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it. We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing. Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend. I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an

The Afternoon Teas Have Returned....Cheltenham

Hurrah, at long last the delightful afternoon teas have returned and it was kick started with a meet up with the Biffa's (self given name for my little group of lovely ladies).  We decided to meet up in Cheltenham as it's roughly half way between Bridgend and Stafford along with being a nice place. We decided to rendezvous at the Cheltenham park and ride.  I have to say one of my main priorities when visiting any where is that they have a decent easy to get to park and ride.  I mean, why battle with the inner town systems of somewhere you haven't a clue when you can just park up and jump on a bus which does the stressful bit for you. On arrival into the town we got our bearings by heading to the nearest decent looking pub and as we were driving the strongest thing we opted for was caffeine.  Still it gave us chance to have a natter, exchange some gifts and decide where we wanted to go and if anyone had anything in particular they wanted to get.                        

Weston Hall Afternoon Tea

Well if you haven’t guessed I do enjoy an afternoon tea even though I don’t have a sweet tooth.   For my last birthday my lovely friend Fordy got me two vouchers for afternoon tea at Weston Hall , Stafford.   Having a browse on line beforehand this looked like a marvellous setting. We arrived at this lovely building which was very picturesque the only down side was that it was quite close to a main road and this spoiled the view a bit but the noise levels weren’t too bad.   We headed into the Cellar restaurant where our afternoon tea was booked and showed into the lounge area where we would be having it.   Mr Bus and I chose some lovely sofas to sit on next to the fire, although it was the end of May we went the weather was still cold and wet so this was welcome. For our afternoon tea we could choose from a range of teas or coffee and we opted for Assam, being one of our favourites.   We were expecting to wait a little while and started to have a nose at what else they had on o