Skip to main content

28 Years Later


My word I can’t believe that 28 years ago this month I met my best friend.  Who would have thought it?  We have been together through thick and thin, there have been highs and lows but like any relationship you have to work at it.

We can remember that our first argument was about the size of a killer whale, I think I said it was as big as a house.  Goodness knows.  Anyway, we have had some other disagreements since then but when it comes down to it we are still there for each other.  I think we also know when we need some space and so if we don’t hear off one another for a couple of days it’s not a big thing.

Ms James is my best friend for many reasons.  I know she is always there, she is very good at advice although can do with listening to her own wise words now and again, but can’t we all.  Also she doesn’t judge.  I know I can tell her anything on this planet and she won’t judge me and be nothing but a friend.

I love her quirky ways and know I can have not only an intelligent conversation with her but also a silly one, debating things from politics to whether or not Skeletor is gay or if Evil Lynne was his girlfriend.

Our childhood was filled with making dens in trees and being rivals with the boys in our street, making mud pies to throw at them and god help them if we captured one of them.  One poor lad we tied to the lamp post in the middle of our street and left him there, one we tied to a gate post and another one got taken in tied to a chair and we put make up on him before sending him out to the other boys.  This sounds awful but it was all in good fun.

Friday evenings when we were a little older would see us heading down to the local McDonalds to order a happy meal and a hot caramel sundae, this later developed into a medium extra value meal and a sundae.  Here we would chat about random things and then have a good old sing song walking back up the A48, singing things like “Oh Lord Won’t You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz’ and ‘Its Raining Men’.

In some respects we were typical young girls working out dance routines and gossiping about boys, but we always had our love of Nintendo consoles, PC Prince of Persia and we both loved the X-Files on TV.  It was from an early age we both loved watching Rugby and got into the game, we both still love to watch it now, supporting Wales of course.  We do differ on our regional sides, I am a Cardiff Blues supporter and Ms James is a Llanelli Scarlets fan.  At least its not the Ospreys!!!!

28 years later and not much has changed, we still love our computer games and watching Wales play rugby, but now we do it with some beers or wine.  We also try and have a catch up regularly on a Wednesday and have adopted the tradition of Wine Wednesdays.  Anyway Thank you Ms James for being a friend, the best of friends.


Comments

Ez said…
Just looked up the traditional anniversary thingie .... none.

28 years and yet you just have to lump it for two more.

Modern list says orchids, but I can't be having with trying to keep one of those things alive!
world of sian said…
hehehe I completely agree. What is 30 anyway?
Taglo said…
lovely, moving blog, as always.
Remind me to hide the ropes next time i upset you and I think I'll warn Buckers!

Popular posts from this blog

VW Bus Birthday Cake

It’s that time of year again the fantastic Mr Bus’ birthday.   Now last year I decided to design and make him a digger cake, this year of course I had to equal that effort or go one better.   I had a few ideas in the pipeline and decided to ask the Birthday boy what he would prefer.   We went with a VW Bus cake. Now I started with baking a lemon drizzle loaf cake, whilst this was cooling had the daunting thought this was not going to be high enough, so baked another lemon loaf cake, this time without the drizzle, so that I could square off the top to sit the other one on top of it.   After these had cooled down, it was time to build, placing the loaf cakes one on top of the other with a layer of vanilla butter cream in the middle, I covered the cakes all over in butter cream.   I then set about with the icing.   I thought it best to start with the white top and draped it over the cakes, just leaving enough for a slight overlap at the bottom. ...

Time Flies when you're having fun

This year is flying by and it’s been quite a reflecting one so far and trying to figure out ones wants and needs. To do this you really have to work out the differences between wants and needs. Wants: - Things that you would like to have but could live without. Lovely shoes, nice clothes, place of my own, progression in career, more money, nice holidays. Needs: - Things that you have to have as you can’t live without. Clothes, food, water, roof over my head, job. After weighing these out I have everything I need, which is fantastic and I am lucky that I have some of the things I want. The only specific goal for something that I want now is a place of my own. A prime example of what was frustrating me, last night after doing my monthly shop, I came home and tried to place things in the freezer, no can do, it was filled with someone else’s food!!! No room for mine at all, the fridge was almost the same as well!!!!! This won’t do, I really have had enough!!! So the saving must comme...

More Afternoon Tea?!?!?!

Well yes, I have been at it again. The 2nd December my fabulous friend Fordy and I went on a lovely day trip to Bath. We love our girlie day trips and thought we would combine this one with the Christmas market and afternoon tea (of course). As it was a day off from work we allowed ourselves a little lie in so didn’t set off too early, this did mean that we missed all the rush hour traffic and had a lovely drive down to Bath. The weather was nice and bright but it was cold, which got us in the mood for a Christmas market. We arrived at the park and ride and it was full, we drove round trying to find a space, just as we were about to give up and try and find somewhere else, a bus from town pulled up and we were able to follow people off the bus to a parking space. Then came the wait in the queue for a bus, it was so cold and we wished we had layered up a bit more. Luckily we weren’t waiting long and we were on a bus into Bath centre. On arriving we got our bearings and star...